In most healthcare settings alcohol-based hand sanitizers are preferable to hand washing with soap and water, because it may be better tolerated and is more effective at reducing bacteria. Hand washing with soap and water, however, should be carried out if contamination can be seen, or following the use of the toilet.
- Require less time than hand washing.
- Act quickly to kill microorganisms on hands.
- Are more accessible than sinks.
- Reduce bacterial counts on hands.
- Do not promote antimicrobial resistance.
- Are less irritating to skin than soap and water.
- Some can even improve condition of skin.
- Read the label carefully before use
- Keep out of reach of the children
- Store in a cool dry place